Taylor Ferraro: The Wharton School, Financial Planning, Investments | Pro Network (Philadelphia, PA)

 

NEW YORK, NY -- Taylor Ferraro is an American businesswoman and collegiate soccer player from Camp Hill, Pennsylvania. She is currently enrolled at the University of Pennsylvania, where she is studying at The Wharton School of Business pursuing a degree in finance and management operations. Ferraro is best known as a defender and captain for the Penn Quakers women's soccer team, where she has appeared in 43 out of 47 matches with 35 starts, 2 goals, 3 assists and 7 overall points in the last three seasons. 

Ferraro joins Tyreese Smith from New York City for an interview to speak on navigating the financial world, life in the Ivy and looking ahead to the future.

---

Hello! My name is Taylor Ferraro. I am a rising senior at the University of Pennsylvania studying at The Wharton School. I am originally from the Harrisburg, Pennsylvania area and currently spending my summer in New York City as an intern with Strategies for Wealth. I am a student-athlete on the Penn women's soccer team. My interests are centered around financial planning by helping individuals and families make informed financial decisions that create long-term success.


Welcome back to the show, Taylor. It's been like four years, now? Anyways, thanks for making a return inside of your busy schedule. Let's get started. How did you get your start? What decision drove you to enter the world of business?

"My decision to pursue business was heavily influenced by my mom (Leslie Ferraro). Growing up, I watched her build a successful career in the business world, and I was always inspired by her leadership and work ethic. At Penn, I am studying Finance and Management at Wharton, and it has exposed me to incredible opportunities with such an amazing network base. I am surrounded by talented people who constantly challenge me to want to grow. My reason has always been simple, I want to help people. Many individuals work incredibly hard throughout their lives, but never receive proper guidance on managing their personal finances. Financial planning can be overwhelming. I am passionate about helping people better understand their options and feel more confident about their financial future. Knowing that I can make a positive impact on someone's life through financial planning is what motivates me."


I’ve known you for a good while now. Real ones remember that we go a couple of years back to when you were a top athlete back home. Since then, I’ve seen you grow up a bit as you’ve done well for yourself. What has been the driving force leading to your success?


"I think the two biggest reasons for any success I've had are consistency and my support system. I've been fortunate to have incredible people around me throughout my life. My family, coaches, teammates, friends, and mentors have always believed in me, and pushed me to be the best version of myself. Having people in your corner who support you through both the highs and lows makes a huge difference. The other piece is consistency. I've learned that success is about showing up every day and putting in the work. Being a student athlete has reinforced that mindset. When I look back, I'm most grateful for the people who have helped me along the way, and the habits they've encouraged me to build and keep striving for my goals in life."


Time is ticking and before you know it, you’ll be a Penn and Wharton School graduate a year from now. Crazy how quick college goes by as you’ve heard that plenty of times before. What factors led to your decision to choose Penn back in high school?


"Choosing Penn was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Soccer was definitely what first introduced me to the opportunity, but once I learned more about the university and visited campus I knew, it was a place where I could grow both as a student and an athlete. Wharton was a huge factor in my decision. I knew it would challenge me academically and open doors professionally. The network at Penn is incredible. You're surrounded by people who are driven and always pushing me to be better. The people have been the best part of my experience. My teammates have become some of my closest friends, and I've met classmates and mentors who have had a huge impact on my life. I've made memories that I'll carry with me long after graduation. Penn has given me opportunities that I never imagined when I was in high school and I'm incredibly grateful for that."


Ivy League schools are some of the most prestigious universities in the world. From a rich tradition of academics, connections to even a unique setup on the athletic side. You’re three years down in the Ivy, have experienced a lot of starts and setbacks along the way, but what’s special about playing in the Ivy League?


"Playing in the Ivy League is special because it challenges you in every area of your life. Competing against some highly talented athletes, while also attending a high academic school has been such a privilege. My experience hasn't been perfect, but I think that's what has made it so valuable. I've had great moments and I've faced challenges. Both have taught me important lessons about perseverance and resilience. The friendships I've built with my teammates and the memories we've created together are things I'll always be grateful for."


We’ve recently learned that you’re in New York City for the summer. Right in the heart of Manhattan as an intern for Strategies for Wealth. How were you able to land this opportunity?


"I learned about Strategies for Wealth through networking and by exploring opportunities in the financial services industry. As I took more finance classes at Wharton and learned about different career paths, it led me to becoming more interested in financial planning because of the impact you can have on people's lives. I wanted an internship that would allow me to work directly with clients and better understand how financial professionals help people achieve their goals. This summer felt especially important because I'm getting closer to graduation and wanted an experience that would help me better understand where I see myself professionally. Strategies for Wealth focuses on helping clients build a strong financial foundation, makes sure they have protection, become disciplined savers, and grow their wealth over time."


"Moving to New York City for the summer was also a big part of the experience." Ferraro continued. "It pushed me outside of my comfort zone and gave me the opportunity to live independently in a very fast paced city. Having spent the last three years in Philadelphia, I've grown to love the city. Philly feels a little more connected and community oriented, while New York moves at a much faster pace and offers endless opportunities. I've enjoyed experiencing both because each city has taught me something different."


You have always had it in you to attack the business world. I knew it, the ones around you know it, but the way you move could slightly be inherited. Mom has been an executive in the food and bev industry forever while dad, Bob is also an executive and a GOAT in the wrestling world. If I’m not mistaken, even big bro is at Pepsi doing great things. Influences play a huge role in who we are as people, but how are you creating a lane for yourself in an era where independence feels like a lost art?


"I've been lucky to grow up around people who set a great example for me. My parents have both had successful careers and they've always shown me the value treating people the right way and staying committed to your goals. My older brother has also been someone I've looked up to. Watching what he's accomplished has motivated me to keep pushing myself and has shown me what's possible when you put in the work. They've never actually told me exactly what path to take. They've supported me, given advice when I needed it, and encouraged me to pursue what I was passionate about. That freedom has allowed me to find my own interests and create my own path through Penn, soccer, and now the financial services industry."


"I think a lot of people my age feel pressure to have everything figured out, but I've learned that it's okay to keep learning and growing. I'm grateful for the foundation my family has given me, but I'm excited to build something that's my own. My goal is to continue creating opportunities for myself, while staying true to the values they've taught me along the way."


I know your schedule is hectic right now, but have you had the chance to catch the World Cup?


"I've definitely been keeping up with the World Cup this summer. The level of play has been awesome and there have been a lot of great matches that have been fun to follow. I've always enjoyed watching players who can completely change a game with one moment of creativity or skill. Seeing the different styles of play from countries around the world is one of my favorite parts of the tournament. I will admit that I had some doubts about the U.S. team before the world cup started, but they've definitely won me over as the tournament has gone on. They've competed hard and have been really fun to watch so far. It's been exciting to see how much support the team has received. Being in New York this summer has made the tournament even more enjoyable. There has been a lot of excitement around the city and it's been cool to be so close to MetLife Stadium. You can really feel the energy from international fans walking through the city."


The 21st Century has been an interesting time for humanity. Through digital technological advancements, the rise of a globalized network and adaptability. The biggest thing that comes to mind is the internet, while social media and now artificial intelligence are playing a part as well. How do you view the digital world from your lens?


"It's interesting because our generation has grown up during a time when technology has changed almost everything. We went from using social media mainly to stay connected with friends to now having AI that can help us learn and solve problems. I think the digital world has created a lot of opportunities. Information is available instantly and people can connect from anywhere in the world. AI is probably the biggest change we're seeing right now. I think it has the potential to be an incredible tool if it's used the right way. It can help people work smarter and be more productive, but I don't think it can replace qualities such as character, leadership, relationship building, and genuine human connection. I think it's important to find a balance. It's easy to get caught up in constantly being connected. Some of my favorite moments in life have come from being present with friends and family."


If your life was a movie or television show, what would be the plot, genre and message tied to it?


"Great question, if my life was a TV show it would probably be a sports drama with a little comedy mixed in. It would follow a student-athlete trying to balance soccer, school, internships, and all the unexpected challenges that come with growing up and figuring out life. What would make the show different is that it would be centered around relationships. Whether it's family, friends, and teammates, the people around me would play a major role in every episode. I've always believed that success means a lot more when you have people to share it with and some of my best memories have come from the relationships I've built along the way."


You knew this topic would come up at some point, but Olivia Jones is in the Ivy League. Two great friends who came up together are experiencing a similar life, the same league but now from different regions of the country. How is this possible?


"It's honestly pretty crazy when you think about it. Olivia and I have known each other for a long time and we've shared so many memories growing up together. From youth sports, high school and now the Ivy League, it's been really cool to watch each other grow and accomplish our goals. What makes it even more special is that no matter where life has taken us, we've stayed connected. She will forever be the person I think about when waking up early for a workout, so shoutout Mr. and Mrs. Jones. In all seriousness, I am really proud of everything she has accomplished so far. She is going to do big things in this world and I will always deep down be a Crimson fan even though that pains me to say."

Editor's Note: William Penn, she didn't mean that last part, that comment is no indication that she is affiliated with Harvard. Please don't roll over.


Having an investment on life is critical to harvest within ourselves. It’s important to invest as it could pay dividends in the future. Now you’re in the finance world, so I’m sure you hear about different terms all the time, but what are your thoughts on the word; Investment?


"When I hear the word investing, I think about just money. Investing is really about putting time and effort into something today that you hope will create value in the future. Obviously in finance, investing plays a huge role in helping people reach their financial goals. I think the same idea applies to personal growth. The time you spend building connections, learning new skills, and developing good habits can pay off just like a financial investment. That's one of the reasons I'm interested in financial planning. I enjoy helping people understand their options and create a plan for the future."


Close to wrapping this up, but let’s think through this question. What are your plans for growth over the next five years?


"Over the next five years, I hope to continue growing both personally and professionally. For my career, I want to build a strong foundation in the financial services industry and continue learning from people who have been successful in the field. Personally, I want to continue investing in the relationships that matter most to me. Family, friends, and the people who have supported me along the way are incredibly important. I never want to lose sight of that as life gets busier. More than anything, I hope that five years from now, I can look back and say I took advantage of opportunities that were given to me."


Thank you Taylor for taking the time to join me from New York. Do you have any words of encouragement or motivation for people? Any last words?


"This is going to sound cheesy, but be focused on being where our feet are. It's easy to spend a lot of time worrying about the future, or comparing yourself to other people. Being consistent and yourself will create some of the best opportunities for anyone. Also, be comfortable stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something new. My last thing I want to say is appreciate the people around you as much as you can and spread love to the people you care about. I know I said it a lot, but my relationships are what got me to where I am today. Having a strong support system has really gotten me through challenging times."



Ferraro during Penn's 2025 women's soccer media day 

Follow Taylor Ferraro

LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/taylor-ferraro-1b7304336/

Player Page https://pennathletics.com/sports/womens-soccer/roster/taylor-ferraro/25243

Email tferraro@wharton.upenn.edu


Contact Tyreese Smith
Instagram @reesejawn

Comments