Sam Freeburn Speaks on Economic Development, Grassroots, Montco | Pro Network

 

LANSDALE, PA -- Sam Freeburn is an American businessman from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. He is currently the Vice President, Business Banking at Harleysville Bank, while previously holding the role of branch manager at American Heritage Credit Union (2025-2026) and Members 1st Federal Credit Union (2021-2025). Freeburn is also a part of Business with a Purpose (BWAP) through The Chamber of Commerce for Greater Montgomery County, while additionally holding responsibilities on the Borough of Lansdale's Economic Development committee. 

Freeburn joined Tyreese Smith in an interview on economic development, community, investing in yourself and dropping phenomenal advice that resonated with Smith along the way.

Disclaimer: The information provided by Tyreese Smith on this platform is for educational and informational purposes only and does not constitute financial, investment, or tax advice. The owner of this content is not a licensed financial advisor. Always consult with a qualified professional before making any financial or investment decisions. Use of this information is at your own risk.


Hello, my name is Sam Freeburn! 

I recently accepted a Vice President role in business banking with Harleysville Bank. Prior to that, I spent the last year with American Heritage Credit Union after making the move from the Harrisburg area to Montgomery County. Before that, I spent nearly ten years building my career with Members 1st Federal Credit Union, where I started in an entry-level role and worked my way into branch leadership.

I’m originally from the Harrisburg area, so making the move was a big change. The original reason was personal as my fiancée is from this area, but it’s turned out to be one of the best decisions I’ve made. I’ve found a great community here, both professionally and personally, and it’s really allowed me to continue growing.


Welcome to the show, Sam. Glad that you were able to set some time for this world that I’m building. Let’s start this interview off easy. Did you choose finance, or did finance choose you?

Funny enough, I didn’t choose finance because I had some grand vision of becoming a banker. I originally chose finance because I was good at math. I figured it was a good combination of business and math, so I started pursuing that path while attending community college.

While I was in school, I didn’t want to take on a lot of student debt, so I started working as a teller at Members 1st Federal Credit Union. One of the things I’ll always be grateful for is that Members 1st invested in me and paid for my entire undergraduate education. At the time, I was really just looking for a job that would help me get through school, but along the way I fell in love with the industry.

By the time I graduated college, I had already worked my way up to branch manager. What really kept me in banking was the people. Community banking and business banking give you the opportunity to work with local business owners, nonprofits, community leaders, and individuals who are doing incredible things. I’ve had the chance to build relationships with some amazing people and organizations over the years, and those are experiences I probably wouldn’t have had if I had gone down a different career path.

Looking back, I got into finance because I was good at math, but I stayed because I genuinely enjoy helping people and being part of the communities I serve.



I’ve known you for a good while now. Real ones remember that we go a couple of years back when we were both in the grassroots industry. What has been the driving force leading to your success?


It’s funny looking back—I probably knew who you were before you knew me. I’ve always loved basketball, but at five-foot-seven, playing at a high level wasn’t in the cards, so I got into coaching. At the time, I was coaching AAU, and you were on one of the top teams in our program. I remember seeing you in showcases around 16 or 17 and following your progress from a distance. Over time, we kept crossing paths through the Central PA basketball scene. You building RPN and me coaching, there was a lot of shared connections.


We really connected when you walked into my branch one day. There was that quick moment of recognition, like, ‘Wait, we know each other.’ What started as a banking conversation turned into more—talking through credit, buying your first car, investing, and all the financial stuff people don’t always learn early on. Looking back, it’s pretty cool. I was a young coach watching you play, and now we’re here having this conversation as professionals.


As for what’s driven my success, it comes down to saying yes to opportunities, staying involved, and building relationships. 



How was life growing up in Harrisburg?

I grew up in the Harrisburg-Hershey area and graduated from Lower Dauphin High School, where I played basketball and lacrosse and even spent a year on the golf team. Looking back, sports were a huge part of my upbringing and taught me a lot about teamwork, accountability, and competition. One thing I always tell people is that Central Pennsylvania is underrated when it comes to high school athletics. District 3 has produced a lot of great teams and athletes for many decades, and I was fortunate to be a part of that environment.

After high school, I started working for Members 1st Federal Credit Union and attended Harrisburg Area Community College before eventually completing my undergraduate degree online at Cambridge College. A lot of my early professional development happened in Harrisburg. Through work, I was given opportunities to get involved with nonprofit organizations, community initiatives, leadership groups, and local events that helped shape who I am today.

What always stood out to me about Harrisburg is that it’s the state capital, but it still feels like a small town. The community is incredibly connected. It always seemed like if you needed to meet someone, there was somebody willing to make an introduction. People genuinely support one another, and relationships matter. That’s something I’ve always appreciated about the area and something I’ve tried to carry with me throughout my career.

When I look back on my time there, I’m just grateful for the opportunities. Harrisburg gave me a great foundation, introduced me to a lot of incredible people, and played a major role in both my personal and professional development.



You decided to make the move to Southeast PA over a year ago. Still in distance from ‘The Burg’, but your life has continued to evolve and change was needed. How’s the experience been so far in Mont Co?

Honestly, my move to the ‘Philly suburbs’ it was a purely personal decision. I met my amazing fiancée, Kristen, a few years ago, and after about six to eight months of driving back and forth between the King of Prussia area and Harrisburg, I realized pretty quickly that it probably made more sense for me to find a new opportunity and make the move.

At the time, I was commuting from the Philadelphia suburbs to Harrisburg for work, and there were plenty of days where I was spending an hour and a half in the car each way just to get to the branch. It wasn’t exactly sustainable long term. What started as a personal decision ended up opening a lot of doors professionally as well.

I’ve loved my time in Montgomery County. While I’ll always have a lot of love for the Harrisburg area, this region offers a different scale of opportunity. It’s actually been fun building a network from the ground up again, learning a new community, figuring out who the key players are, and approaching things a little differently than I did when I was building relationships back in Harrisburg.

Beyond work, the lifestyle has been great. Being close to Philadelphia gives you access to incredible restaurants, sports, culture, and entertainment. My fiancée and I love being able to hop on SEPTA, spend an evening in the city, and be back home without having to deal with driving. It’s been a great experience overall, and I couldn’t be happier with the decision.



Let’s talk about the market. We all know of Wall Street’s origin, but it's been crazy to see how many places have boomed in the financial world such as Dallas and Miami. Maybe a year ago I started to understand these systems and see how much drives the world with real estate, supply chain management, the food and beverage industry as these links connect. The frontal lobe is special to say the least. Anyways, being in finance, what are your thoughts on how much the world spins?

One of the most interesting things I’ve learned over the years isn’t necessarily how finance makes the world work, it’s how interconnected everything is. The longer you spend in business, community development, nonprofit work, and banking, the more you realize that everybody is connected in some way.

Your nonprofit board members are often business owners or executives. The dad coaching a youth sports team might also be a partner at an accounting firm. The person leading a fundraiser may also sit on the board of a local company. The worlds of business, nonprofits, education, athletics, and government overlap far more than people realize.

Finance plays a major role in making a lot of those things move. Every organization needs resources. Whether it’s a business obtaining financing to buy equipment, a nonprofit applying for grants, a community project seeking fundraising support, or a municipality pursuing development opportunities, somebody has to figure out how those initiatives get funded.

One thing I’ve been fortunate to experience is seeing that process from multiple angles. On the nonprofit side, there are organizations doing incredible work that depend on grants, sponsorships, and community support. A lot of people don’t realize how much effort goes into securing those resources. Sometimes something as simple as understanding how to properly apply for a grant can determine whether an organization receives funding.

On the banking side, I’ve seen firsthand how access to capital can change the trajectory of a business. A loan for a piece of equipment can help a company grow. A line of credit can help create jobs. A successful business can then support local nonprofits, youth organizations, and community initiatives.

That’s why I always say everything comes full circle. When you spend enough time involved in your community, you start to see how connected all of these systems really are. Finance is certainly a part of that, but it’s really about people, relationships, and creating opportunities that benefit the broader community



Continuing to invest in yourself and guide others along on the journey; You most recently were selected on the Borough of Lansdale’s Economic Development committee. I know you’re also involved with The Chamber of Commerce in Greater Montgomery, while in the past have contributed to the Harrisburg Hoopla and United Way of the Capital Region. How have these experiences helped shape you in leadership roles?

One of the hardest parts about leaving Central Pennsylvania was stepping away from the United Way of the Capital Region. When I joined the Bridges Society, I was probably the youngest person in the room by five years. I remember walking into those meetings as a 25-year-old branch manager and looking around the table at directors, vice presidents, senior managers, and established professionals from across the region.

What stood out to me wasn’t their titles. It was the fact that these were successful people who were still willing to roll up their sleeves, volunteer their time, and invest in their community. I learned a tremendous amount from that group, and by the time I left, I was serving as Vice Chair of the Bridges Society.

Harrisburg Hoopla was another great experience. It taught me a lot about fundraising and community engagement, but it also reinforced how interconnected everything is. Basketball relationships turned into fundraising relationships, which turned into professional relationships. That’s something I’ve seen throughout my career.

Since moving to Montgomery County, I’ve been fortunate to join the Borough of Lansdale’s Economic Development Committee. I’ve only been involved for a few months, but it’s already opened my eyes to how much work goes into helping a community grow. Whether it’s supporting local businesses, discussing economic incentives, or gathering community input, there’s a lot happening behind the scenes that most people never see.

What excites me most is the opportunity to help connect businesses, local government, and community members. All of these experiences have reinforced the same lesson: leadership isn’t about titles. It’s about showing up, getting involved, and helping make your community better.



I don’t know if you’ve ever seen those ‘Freeburn’ billboards when you were around Harrisburg. You probably have to know what I’m talking about. Are you related to the guy from Freeburn Law?

I probably got asked that question two or three times a week when I lived in Harrisburg. The branch I managed was right down the road from their offices, so it happened constantly. Not only would people ask if I was related, but I’d also hear, “Oh, you know him? He’s my lawyer.”

The long answer is that we actually are related, but very distantly. I think we’re something like fifth or seventh cousins. I’ve met him once on a golf course, and we briefly talked about family lineage. He knows a lot more about the family history than I do.

So technically the answer is yes, but we’re not going to the same family reunions, we’re not regularly in touch, and we’re not calling each other on holidays.



Since moving to the area, you’ve joined the Hoop Group Academic League as one of the head coaches for Next Play’s organization. Additionally, have spent time in the Bicentennial Athletic League and joined Separ8 in the past year. How’s the basketball move been going for you so far?

I was lucky enough to get connected in the basketball world pretty quickly after moving to the area. Last season, I was a varsity coach at Dock Mennonite under Coach Fergus. It’s a consistent program that has seen a lot of success over the years, and I was fortunate to be welcomed into that environment. A lot of that opportunity came through Coach Don Friday at Penn State Harrisburg, who helped make the introduction, and I’m very grateful for that.

One thing that stood out to me right away was the culture of the program. Year after year, they’re developing players and helping them continue their careers at the next level. Good coaching, good players, and good people are a big part of why they’ve been successful for so long.

Around the same time, I got connected with Next Play. They needed coaches, I reached out, and things just clicked. Coach Ryan Ansel at La Salle College (High School) and Coach Jake Webster at Springside Chestnut Hill really brought me in and made me feel like part of the organization from day one. This year, I had the opportunity to coach one of our 15U Hoop Group Academic League teams, and it’s been a great experience. We’ve got a talented group, and it’s been a lot of fun competing and helping those players continue to develop.

The biggest difference between Central Pennsylvania and Southeastern Pennsylvania is simply the depth. There are more programs, more players, and an incredible amount of talent. I absolutely miss my players and relationships back in Central PA, but I’ve really enjoyed building new relationships with this group and becoming part of a different basketball community. I was honestly surprised by how welcoming people were when I moved down here, and I’m thankful for the coaches and organizations that gave me opportunities.

On top of that, another Central PA transplant, Casey Caruso, and I started a basketball training company called SEPAR8. The idea was pretty simple to provide quality basketball training at an affordable price. Neither of us relies on it as our primary income. We both have careers outside of basketball. We just genuinely enjoy helping young athletes develop and wanted to create another opportunity for kids to improve.

It’s definitely a lot of work between organizing training sessions, building partnerships, coaching, and balancing our professional careers, but I love it. I’ve been saying for years that I was eventually going to step away from basketball, but every time I think I’m out, I somehow find another way to get more involved. At this point, I’m not sure basketball is ever really going away.



The 21st Century has been an interesting time for humanity. Through digital technological advancements, the rise of a globalized network and adaptability. The biggest thing that comes to mind is the internet, while social media and now artificial intelligence are playing a part as well. How do you view the digital world from your lens? 

I think one of the biggest misconceptions about the digital world is that technology has somehow made human connection less important. If anything, I think it’s made it more important.

We live in a world where information moves incredibly fast. Between social media, AI, and the internet in general, not much happens that we don’t hear about pretty quickly. Information, education, and resources are more accessible than they’ve ever been, and that’s a really powerful thing.

At the same time, because everyone has access to information, relationships become even more valuable. Anybody can look something up. Anybody can build a profile online. Anybody can create a perception of who they are. What becomes harder to replace is trust, personal relationships, and genuine human connection.

That’s why I think the digital world is such an interesting place. It gives us access to more opportunities and resources than any previous generation, but it also reinforces how important people are. Communities still run on relationships. Businesses still run on relationships. Most opportunities still come from relationships.

So while technology will continue to evolve and AI will continue to change the way we work, I still believe the people who are able to build authentic relationships will have the biggest advantage. The technology may change, but human connection is still what ties everything together.





I know you take time out of your schedule to work with the youth. Having spent almost a decade in finance, witnessing many interviews and business conferences. If you could pass on advice to the younger generation, what would you advise on the steps they should take to put their foot in the door? 

I think the most important thing for young people is to keep putting themselves out there. Say yes to opportunities. A mentor of mine once told me not to be afraid to take opportunities that other people may not want, and that’s always stuck with me. Don’t pass on something valuable just because your friends aren’t doing it or because it doesn’t seem exciting at the time. Some of the best opportunities I’ve had in my life came from saying yes to things that weren’t originally part of the plan.

The second thing is to keep an open mind. When I was 21, like most 21-year-olds, I thought I knew more than I actually did. The older I’ve gotten, the more I’ve realized how much there is to learn. I probably feel like I know less now than I did then, simply because I’m more aware of how much knowledge and experience is out there.

I’d also encourage people to take lessons from every experience and look for ways to apply them elsewhere. As someone who has spent a lot of time in both sports and business, I’ve found that many of the same skills translate. Leadership, communication, preparation, accountability, and teamwork matter whether you’re coaching a basketball team, managing a branch, or building a business.

Don’t put yourself in a box. Some of the best growth comes from taking what you’ve learned in one area of your life and applying it somewhere completely different.



I know you’re a busy guy, but what do you typically do in your downtime?

During my downtime, I’m usually spending time with my fiancée, Kristen. We love trying new restaurants, getting out of the house, and finding things to do. Neither of us is very good at sitting still for long. I’ve also been trying to focus more on staying active. I recently bought a Peloton, and between that, walking, and trying to play more golf, I’ve been making a bigger effort to prioritize my health.

I’ve always enjoyed traveling, too. A friend and I have a tradition where we’ll pick cities we’ve never been to and just go. Sometimes there’s a reason for the trip, and sometimes there really isn’t. We’ve ended up in places like Louisville, Cincinnati, Minneapolis, and Milwaukee simply because we hadn’t been there before. It’s cool to see the different vibes of different cities, try different restaurants, meet different people. Experience places you otherwise probably wouldn’t visit.



Close to wrapping this up, but let’s think through this question. What are your plans for growth over the next five years?

The next five to ten years are really interesting because, for the first time in a while, I feel like I’ve got some stability. The last couple years have been pretty busy between changing jobs, moving across the state, buying a home, getting engaged, and building new networks. So while there will probably be some family milestones mixed in there, I’m honestly excited to spend a few years growing where I’m at instead of starting over somewhere new.

Professionally, I’m just starting a new role as a Vice President in business banking, and that’s something I’m really excited about. It’s a smaller organization, which means I’ll have opportunities to learn things that I haven’t had exposure to before. I’ll be closer to the decision-making process, closer to the strategy, and able to see parts of the business that I haven’t been able to see in previous roles.

Over the next five years, my goal is to continue growing within banking and put myself in a position where I can have a meaningful strategic impact on an organization. Whether that’s in a larger leadership role or continuing to grow within my current role, I want to be someone who helps shape the direction of the organization, not just execute on it.

Outside of banking, I’d love to continue growing as a coach and see where things go with SEPAR8. We don’t have some grand master plan. We started it because we enjoy helping kids and wanted to create another opportunity for athletes to develop. If that continues to grow organically, that’s great.

More than anything, I’m excited to see what happens. For the first time in a long time, I’m not focused on making a major change. I’ve worked pretty hard over the last couple years, and I feel good about where I’m at for the moment.



Thank you Sam for taking the time to join me this morning. Do you have any words of encouragement or motivation for people? Any last words?

Thank you for this brother. I think the ‘Rome wasn’t built in a day saying is a good one. I know it’s a little cliché, but I really do believe it.

I think a lot of people get caught up worrying about where they want to be long term instead of focusing on what’s right in front of them. The reality is you never really know how close you are. You could be one good decision, one opportunity, or one relationship away from something that changes everything.

For me, it’s always been about stacking good decisions. Do things for the right reasons. Don’t make choices because you’re trying to keep up with what somebody else is doing. Set a goal, focus on the next step, and keep moving in the right direction.

It might not always feel like you’re getting where you want to go as quickly as you’d like, but you never really know how close you are.


Follow Sam Freeburn
LinkedIn

Comments